10.13.2007

A Day in Life...

After showing my 2nd graders how I store and organize information in various files, I told them that in our brains we store information in files. So after a few lessons of modeling what it looks like to find information in my mental file, I invited them to access information in their mental files.

Me: "2nd graders, look around your brain and find your mental file labeled Christopher Columbus. Some of you may or may not have one. Once you find it open it up and tell me what is inside it." (Only 4 kids raised their hands). "Tell me what you think is inside your mental file?"

Student: "Christopher Columbus wrote America the Beautiful."

Next Student: "The Mayflower was the fastest ship."

Needless to say, we read a book and added to our mental files and took out any incorrect information!!!

*************************************************************************************
Last Spring...

After talking ALL year about listening to your inner voice to help you understand what you read this is what one of my students said to me at the end of the year.

"Mrs. Carlucci, I don't have that voice."

No comments: