9.13.2013

Rain, Rain, Go Away & Full-Time Work

Yay!  We have had the last two days of school of because of rain!  Bonus time with the girls!!! Catching up on the blog!
Boo!  There is major flooding (we are all fine) all around us.
In case you were wondering the journey of how I went from being part-time to full-time in such short time here is the bulleted version:
  • yet another summer went by without a single interview for a Boulder Valley School District school (the district I want to work in because it is the district we live in, the one Brandon works in (same schedule), the one my girls will go to, they pay the best, they offer full benefits for part-time workers, they only take 5 years of experience (this is my 9th year of teaching and each year that goes by the less credit I get)
  • it was frustrating once again to be glued to my phone waiting for an email from Human Resource to see if I had an interview for any job I applied for
  • we were thankful that I had a part-time job, but it was at a Charter School and they pay is not great and since I was working afternoons five days a week we now had to pay for daycare two days a week 
  • we knew that next year I may have to apply for full-time jobs in any surrounding district and I couldn't be picky and wait and see what else would become available (then I would be "stuck" in that district, because I need to stop bouncing around)
  • the morning I was getting ready to head to my afternoon job (my 2nd day of work) I got a call from a principal in Superior (BVSD) because she got my name passed on to her from someone else and she asked me if I could come in and interview that day for a last minute job opening for a full-time third grade job and I said no
  • that afternoon I got a text from Brandon telling me that his middle school  asst. principal  (Brandon works at a K-8 and his middle school principal goes to our church and has been looking out for me) was going to call me
  • the asst. principal called and asked if I could come in in an hour and interview for a part-time 2nd grade job that just became available, I of course said yes...so I snuck out early from my other job (no students yet)
  • I was ecstatic driving to the school, praising God, thinking this is what I was waiting for
  • I got to the interview with the elem principal and elem asst. principal and they thank me for coming in on such short notice and said they have approval from HR to by pass the formal process since students are starting in two days and they would like to hire someone (ME!) by today
  • Then....they say it is a full-time 2nd grade job...punch. in. the. gut.
  • I clarify and turns out Brandon's asst. principal just got it wrong, we keep interviewing and we all love each other.  I tell them I will think about it and call them in an hour.
  • I go outside and cry.
  • I turn down the job.
  • the job formally posts on HR the next day and has to be posted for five days. 
  • meanwhile I go to my other job.
  • every day I look at the job, my job, that is posted.
  • Brandon says nothing.
  • I bring it up on day 3 of it being posted, we talk, we talk, we talk, no decision.
  • I cry about decision for last two days of posting, mostly because deep down I know it is the better decision in the long haul.
  • I apply for job, I have peace
  • it closes and I don't hear anything from school til that night (Friday) at 5. 
  • interviews (have to interview five people, HR protocol) on Monday at 11:30.  
  • interview.  No indication they are still interested in me.  Deadpan faces. 
  • call back at 3:30 for 2nd interview with team.  Again, no indication of anything.
  • 4:00 still at school, done with team interview, finally tell me if my references check out the job is mine.
  • I stay at school to check out my room (where kids have already started with a sub)
  • the next day I notify my principal she will be getting a phone call for a reference check, I resign, and I go to the teacher store to get crap.
  • Tuesday and Wednesday I "work" at school and  stay very late every night to work in my room since I can't during the day (darn kids are there...did I mention there are 29 of them?)
  • Wednesday afternoon HR finally offers me the job, I start Thursday (the kids' fifth day of school) and have Parent Night that night.
  • I meet with two nannies (I don't even remember when) to set up someone coming to our house on Th & F.  I hire one who can commit for the whole year and she was supposed to start this Th &F, but it rained...
  • In hind sight, I love that I didn't know all summer that I was going to work full-time this year, it helped me enjoy the summer!  I love that it is close to our house, the grade I love, and the school B works at.  I love that I had time to process the decision for a week, instead of just taking the job right away and God worked in my heart that whole week to prepare me to take the job.  Once again, it is neat to see God's hand in this whole process.  

No comments: