I thought I wanted to work in Boulder Valley School District (our neighborhood district, the best paying, and the one Brandon works for), but things didn't quite work out that way.
This previous school year I took a last minute, late-hire, full-time 2nd grade position at a Boulder Valley school in Broomfield, four minutes from our house, at the same school Brandon was at (it was a K-8)....perfect, right?
I was miserable. I disliked being full time again, I didn't make any friends at work (I would go out to my van sometimes this spring during lunch because I had to be out of our building), I had 29 kids in a small classroom with no windows, and I just didn't love it even though it should've been perfect.
I thought working part time at this place would be better, so one of my teammates and I pitched a job share to our principal for the upcoming school year and she said no. I was bummed because I was hopeful for the chance to work part time. Her saying no, put me in an awkward position because I then felt like I had to convince my administration that I wanted to be full time again next year, even though in my heart I didn't want to.
I was upset because I could see the writing on the wall...I would interview for my 2nd grade job again (I had to reinterview since I was on a one year only contract) and I would work full time forever at the school teaching 2nd grade end of story.
Most teachers know that when you have to reinterview for your job again it is a "wink, wink" have to go through the protocol but the job is yours kind of thing. I never got that feeling, even though I received positive feedback from parents, my team, and had good evaluations all year. There was never any red flags, except for just a gut feeling.
I interviewed for the 2nd grade position the day after school was out, it went fine. Nothing great, but didn't think I bombed it. In all honesty, it shouldn't have mattered because I did a good job all year long.
We were leaving for Disney the next day, but they said they would let me know that night or the next day. We flew out the next day and I called before we left since I hadn't heard anything, but my principal was in meetings all day. We got off the plane in Florida and I thought for sure I would have a message. Nope. I felt sick.
We went to Hollywood Studios the next day and half way through our morning there I couldn't take it anymore and I called again. I was so angry that it was a day and half passed from when I was supposed to find out and I was having to call.
You know where this is going, I didn't get the job. I was furious and hurt. We chatted for just a few minutes and I got to say some things that I was glad I had a chance to say, but then I had to cut the conversation off because I needed to be professional...after all I needed a reference....
I started crying and just had rage. We left Hollywood Studios and went back to the hotel where I wallowed for a bit, questioned my career choice/life path, called Rachel (thanks Rach), and then I got over it and got online and applied for a few job in a neighboring district, Adams 12. I texted my former assistant principal from Highlands Ranch who was now a principal in Adams 12 and told her I applied for a few jobs in her district if she wouldn't mind passing my name on.
Brandon and I went on a walk around the hotel and merely two hours after I found out I was fired, I had total peace. I knew I would've never had the guts to break up with my "perfect" job, in the grade I love, so close to my house, where Brandon works, and in the district I thought I wanted to be in.
So, God broke up with the job for me. He knew my hearts desire and even though He chose a humble, pride checking way to go about it, He had something better in mind for me.
We went to the pool and while we were at the pool I got a call from a part time kindie position I applied for just mere hours ago. The principal said she got my name from my former asst principal who had nothing but great things to say about me and then she went on to talk to me about the part time position at her school as if it were already mine. We chatted for about 30 minutes and I LOVED her. (Might I just remind you that this was less than four or five hours after I got fired, while I am in Disney, on vacation!)
It was a Thursday and she wanted to know if I could do a formal interview on Tuesday. I, of course, said yes, but it would have to be a phone interview as we would still be in Disney.
Fast forward three days....Isla gets the stomach bug, I get the stomach bug.
On Tuesday I did my hour long interview in my pajamas, sitting in my hotel bed, feeling like poo while everyone else was down at the pool. It went great, it was a relaxed easy conversation and when it was done I asked when they would let me know. She said by the end of the day. By the time I changed into my suit and walked down to the pool she called me and had the kindest words and said I got the job.
PART TIME 7:15-11:15 a.m. kindergarten!!!!
Well--I've taught for a week and a half and I love it. I love the little people. I adore my staff and leadership and the 20 minute drive isn't bad. I am so happy. It is incredible to know that God's hand was in the whole situation and HE picked this job just for me. God cares about me. Thank you God.
2 comments:
love you. xo
That's awesome, Ash! I'm so happy for you. So neat when God gives us the desires of our hearts in His way at His time.
Post a Comment