11.06.2010

2nd grade

Me:  On Wednesday I will have a sub here so I can work on report cards.  Actually, the sub is going to be the sub that will be here when I have my baby and am at home.

Students: Blank faces and crickets.

Me:  You know I won't be here for about 10 weeks of school when I am at home with my baby.

Students: Still confused looks and blank stares.

Finally, a few kids registered what I was saying and clarified that I wouldn't teach for a bit after the baby is born, but wanted to make sure that I would bring her to school to meet them.

A bit later one of my girls was looking at the calendar and said, "So in two days (it was a Monday and she was counting ahead to Wednesday) you will have your baby."

I said, "No in lots of days I will have my baby. In two days, my sub will be here."


On Wednesday, the same student brought me a present for my baby.

*******

Later that week one of my volunteer moms came in and said that her son came home on Monday and said, "Mom--guess what? Mrs. Carlucci is going to have a baby."

Apparently, most of the kids just think I am getting fat AND don't pay attention to me when I talk.

*********

On Halloween...

Student: Mrs. Carlucci who is this Rip guy and why is his name always on Halloween stuff?

**********

After a lesson on using commas in your writing to boss your reader around and let them take a breath while they are reading a student turned in a piece on writing that looked something like this:

My, dog, went, outside, and, he.....


There was a comma between EVERY single word in his VERY long story.

I guess they do listen...

No comments: